There is nothing more satisfying for me than to enjoy a day out with a family group in the woodlands exploring nature and everything around us.
The John Muir Award 2016
The John Muir Conserve Award certificates were awarded to 8 children and 6 adults in November 2016.
During 50 hours in 2016, our five families, or Junior Rangers, undertook a wealth of conservation tasks for the Trust including discovery and exploring activities:
- We carried out conservation tasks with Ironbridge meadows and pastures, a collective green space saved by local people from certain housing development. Here we monitored birds and reptiles, cleaned the pond, picked up discarded dog poo bags and litter.
- We cleared fallen timber from a footpath in Loamhole Dingle, stapled and repaired timber steps, cleaned a stream from litter, coppiced saplings from the footpaths.
- We enjoyed a trip to RSPB Ynys Hir bird sanctuary and Ynys Las beach in West Wales where we spied birds and aquatic bugs and completed a sand dune wild flower survey.
- We organised and led activities in the Family Fun Zone at the 25th Anniversary Day in July and produced a celebration ‘memory’ booklet.
- Five children completed a Outdoor First Aid course.
- Evie and Emma designed a ‘Pick up your Dog Poo’ poster for our footpaths
- Evie and Emma designed a family trail ‘Little Brown Mouse visits Loamhole Dingle’. Please ask for a pdf of the story from Cadi Price: see email below
The Junior Rangers will continue with their conservation volunteering during the holidays with SGCT and in Ironbridge Meadows and Pastures near Hodge Bower.
Little Acorns family walks
The John Muir group were once the Little Acorns! A new group of children and adults are now enjoying the countryside joining in with adventures as part of the Outdoor Learning Programme during school holidays. The 2017 programme has three adventures based around popular stories, a picnic and wild woods adventure with the idea to encourage families to engage with the John Muir Family Award. Cost is just £2 per person.
Email Cadi Price if interested. See below.
NEXT FAMILY EVENT: see Outdoor Learning Events page
Booking is essential as places are limited: email@example.com
All information is in the Outdoor Learning Programme. Payment secures your booking.
If you have a group and like nature activities but would prefer a guided activity during a week day, please contact Cadi Price, Community Development Officer: firstname.lastname@example.org
Group bookings: £30 per hour