About the Trust
Severn Gorge Countryside Trust was established in 1991 for the purpose of managing more than 270 hectares (670 acres) of woodland, grassland, heathland, pools, and other public spaces throughout the Ironbridge Gorge and its surroundings.
The beautiful and dramatic landscape of the World Heritage Site, situated on the southern edge of Telford, is a place where momentous industrial changes occurred in the 18C & 19C. Today, the area remains a living landscape, one where people continue to reside and work.
The Trust manages this landscape for the benefit of local communities and the many thousands of visitors who come each year to visit the Gorge.
We work to achieve our aim through:
- Conservation of often rare and threatened habitats and species
- Promotion of public access
- Sensitive management of the diverse landscape types
- Interpretation and preservation of industrial & archaeological remains
- Enabling everyone to use, enjoy and understand our sites